Although Instagram focuses mainly on photo and video sharing, it also encourages its users to use the platform for chatting with their friends and people from all around the globe.
In order to get people to spend more time on the app, Instagram has recently introduced its online status feature that enables people to see who is currently online or offline on the app.
With the initiative, perhaps Instagram users will treat Instagram not just as a platform to keep up with the latest trends and social updates, but also as a medium for keeping in touch with their friends, social influencers and people from around the globe. Indeed, Instagram is one of the best chat apps that exist today.
To start chatting (or exchanging messages) on Instagram, you need to send a direct message (DM) to someone. If someone wishes to reach out to you, they can also send you a DM.
Basically, a DM is an Instagram feature that allows people to send private messages to other people on Instagram. Besides messages, they can also share photos, videos, links, snap-like disappearing messages, and locations. They can even make video calls!
In this article, we will show you how to DM on Instagram via the Instagram app. We will also show you how to DM on Instagram on PC. As a bonus, you can check out how to post to Instagram from PC.
Let’s dive in!
How to DM on Instagram from the Instagram App
Sending a DM on Instagram via the Instagram app is pretty straight-forward and will not take much of your time unless you are planning on sending a long message to whoever you are trying to reach out to. Otherwise, it should take under 1 minute.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Instagram app. On the top right corner of your homepage, you will see an arrow/airplane icon. Click on it.
- You will see a page called Direct. That is your DM page. You can choose to send a private message individually, or send the same message to a mass number of people. The latter option only applies to people you follow on Instagram.
3. To send a private message, type in the person’s username in the search bar. Then, tap on the Instagram account of your choice and write down your message in the chat box. You can also use Instagram DM to create a group chat. Proceed to step 4.
4. Tap on the Add button (+) and scroll down to find the people to whom you want to send the message. Select your recipients.
💡 Related Post: A quick and painless guide to using Instagram for PC
Alternatively, you can type in the person’s username in the search bar to make your search easier and quicker.
5. Once you have chosen the recipients, tap on the Message option at the bottom of the screen. You will see a chat page along with the names of the people you wish to chat with. You can name the chat group if you like.
5. Enter your message in the chat box to start chatting. Instagram will inform you when someone reads your message.
That was pretty easy, wasn’t it? Now let’s move on to our next tutorial: how to DM on Instagram on PC.
💡 Related Post: How to switch off your Instagram online status
How to Message on Instagram on PC
While it is true that most people prefer to use Instagram using the Instagram app straight from their mobile phones, some may prefer to use Instagram from their computers since they offer bigger screen and a full keyboard.
If you are not allowed to play with your phone at the office, then you might want to consider using your PC to use Instagram while working, although we personally do not endorse such an idea. Instagram is too distracting, seriously!
Although you can use the web browser on your PC to browse through your Instagram, you will not be able to see any option for DM. But do not worry; we will show you how to DM on Instagram on PC easily.
To DM on Instagram on PC, you can use:
- Instagram for Windows 10
Just download any of these software to your PC in order to DM on Instagram on PC.
💡 Related Post: 7 ways to build your brand with Instagram messages
How to DM on Instagram on PC Using Instagram for Windows 10
The Microsoft store has the right software to help you send a DM on Instagram on PC. No purchase needed; it’s free! Follow the steps below to start using it:
- Visit the Windows app store to download the Instagram for Windows app.
- Install the program on your PC.
- Open the app. Tap on the DM icon to send a private message to someone. You can always tap on the icon next time whenever you need to check your messages.
💡 Related Post: How to post on Instagram from a PC or Mac
How to DM on Instagram on PC Using BlueStacks
The other option you have for using DM on Instagram on PC is BlueStacks, an Android app emulator for PC and Macbook. It is free to use. Thanks to the app, now you can use Android apps on PC. Follow the steps below to learn how to DM on Instagram on PC using the software:
1. Download BlueStacks from the BlueStacks’ official website and install it on your PC.
2. Once the installation is complete, click on Finish.
3. You will see the welcome screen. Click on the right arrow button.
4. You will need to enter your Google account credentials. Complete the setup and tap on Search.
5. Type Instagram in the search bar. The Instagram app icon will appear. Click on it and you will be directed to Play Store where you can download the Instagram app.
6. Install the Instagram app.
7. Once installed, launch the Instagram app and key in your Instagram credentials.
8. The Instagram app will open on your computer and you can instantly use it. By now, you should be able to use Instagram DM on your PC. Simply tap on the arrow icon whenever you want to view your messages.
Note: You can send anyone a message on Instagram. If you send a message to someone who does not follow you, the message will appear as a request in their Instagram inbox.
Alternatively, you can use third-party applications like IG:dm. It is free and available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Have you sent a DM to someone on Instagram on PC before?