Although Instagram focuses mainly on photo and video sharing, it also encourages its users to use the platform for chatting with their friends and people from all around the globe. This includes the use of Instagram DM on PC.
In order to get people to spend more time on the app, Instagram has recently introduced its online status feature that enables people to see who is currently online or offline on the app. This feature works much in the same way that Facebook (their parent company) allows you to see who is online and active on messenger.
With the initiative, perhaps Instagram users will treat Instagram not just as a platform to keep up with the latest trends and social updates, but also as a medium for keeping in touch with their friends, family, social influencers and people from around the globe. With this move, Instagram is poised to become one of the best chat apps that exist today.
To start chatting (or exchanging messages) on Instagram, you need to first send a direct message (DM) to someone. If someone wishes to reach out to you, they can also send you a DM.
Basically, a DM is an Instagram feature that allows people to send private messages to other people on Instagram. Besides messages, they can also share photos, videos, links, snap-like disappearing messages, and locations. They can even make video calls! Pretty cool right?
In this article, we will show you how to DM on Instagram via the Instagram app. We will also show you how to DM on Instagram on PC. As a bonus, you can check out how to post to Instagram from PC.
Let’s dive in!
How to DM on Instagram from the Instagram App
Sending a DM on Instagram via the Instagram app is a pretty straight-forward process and will not take much time to get the hang of. With just a few short finger strokes on your app, you can be well on your way to chatting with friends and followers alike.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Instagram app. On the top right corner of your homepage, you will see an arrow/airplane icon. Click on it.
- You will see a page called Direct. That is your DM page. You can choose to send a private message individually, or send the same message to a mass number of people. The latter option only applies to people you follow on Instagram.
3. To send a private message, simply type in the person’s username in the search bar. Then, tap on the Instagram account of your choice and write down your message in the chat box. You can also use Instagram DM to create a group chat. Proceed to step 4.
4. Tap on the Add button (+) and scroll down to find the people to whom you want to send the message. Select your recipients.
💡 Related Post: A quick and painless guide to using Instagram for PC
Alternatively, you can type in the person’s username in the search bar to make your search easier and quicker.
5. Once you have chosen the recipients for your message, tap on the Message option at the bottom of the screen. Next, you will see a chat page along with the names of the people you wish to chat with. You can name the chat group if you like, but this is not required.
5. Enter your message in the chat box to start chatting. Instagram will inform you when someone reads your message so you’ll know if they received the message and are just leaving you hanging or if they have not yet had a chance to read it.
That was pretty easy, wasn’t it? Now let’s move on to our next tutorial: how to DM on Instagram on PC.
💡 Related Post: How to switch off your Instagram online status
How to Message on Instagram on PC
While it is true that most people prefer to use Instagram using the Instagram app straight from their mobile phones, others may prefer to use Instagram from their desktop computers. Why? Although certainly not portable nor as convenient they do offer the benefits of a bigger screen and a full keyboard to type on.
Additionally, for those not allowed to use their mobile phones at work, this solution offers an easy alternative. Just don’t get caught slacking off (:. While we don’t endorse spending time on the Gram at work, it is worth mentioning due to this popular use case. Frankly, Instagram is too distracting, and you should probably just wait until your next break before logging back in.
Although you can use the web browser on your PC to browse through your Instagram feed, you won’t be able to see an option for sending a direct message. But don’t worry; we will show you how to direct message on Instagram on PC easily.
To DM on Instagram on PC, you can use:
- Instagram for Windows 10
Just download any of these software to your PC in order to DM on Instagram on PC.
💡 Related Post: 7 ways to build your brand with Instagram messages
How to DM on Instagram on PC Using Instagram for Windows 10
The Microsoft store has the right software to help you send a DM on Instagram on PC. No purchase needed; it’s free! Follow the steps below to start using it:
- Visit the Windows app store to download the Instagram for Windows app.
- Install the program on your PC.
- Open the app. Tap on the DM icon to send a private message to someone. You can always tap on the icon next time whenever you need to check your messages.
💡 Related Post: How to post on Instagram from a PC or Mac
How to DM on Instagram on PC Using BlueStacks
The other option you have for using direct messages on Instagram while on your PC is BlueStacks. BlueStacks is an Android app emulator for PC and Macbook. It is free to use. Thanks to the app, now you can use Android apps on PC.
Follow the steps below to learn how to DM on Instagram on PC using the software:
1. Download BlueStacks from the BlueStacks’ official website and install it on your PC.
2. Once the installation is complete, click on Finish.
3. You will see the welcome screen. Click on the right arrow button.
4. You will need to enter your Google account credentials. Complete the setup and tap on Search.
5. Type Instagram in the search bar. The Instagram app icon will appear. Click on it and you will be directed to Play Store where you can download the Instagram app.
6. Install the Instagram app.
7. Once installed, launch the Instagram app and key in your Instagram credentials.
8. The Instagram app will open on your computer and you can instantly use it. By now, you should be able to use Instagram DM on your PC. Simply tap on the arrow icon whenever you want to view your messages.
Note: You can send anyone a message on Instagram. If you send a message to someone who does not follow you, the message will appear as a request in their Instagram inbox.
And that’s about it. Simple, easy and useful. If you’ve always wondered how to direct message from your desktop PC, now you know. While most of the time you’ll likely be on the “Gram” from your mobile device, be it a smartphone or tablet, having the ability to also log on and interact from your PC can be a nice change of pace. From a bigger screen to being able to use a full-size keyboard, or simply to log on while at work, no matter why, now you have the option. And options, are good.
Alternatively, you can use third-party applications like IG:dm. It is free and available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Have you sent a DM to someone on Instagram on PC before? If not, follow the steps in this guide and give it a try today! And if you have any questions or need any help, don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re always happy to share advice, tips and best practices to help you enjoy and get more out of your experience on IG.