Do you know how to disable your Instagram account? No, not delete, disable! Yes, there is a way to make your Instagram account temporarily disappear without actually deleting it!
Want to know how to temporarily go instagram-less, but not lose all of your amazing posts? In this article, you’ll also figure out if disabling your account is right for you. Keep reading to learn how to disable your Instagram account!
Why Should I Disable my Instagram Account?
Learning how to disable your Instagram account is super helpful in having a successful social media break. It’s the perfect method if you want to take an Insta-vacation.
Of course, there are other reasons as to why you might want some time off the ‘gram. Maybe you’re unsure if you’re ready to delete your account or you just don’t have time to use it.
Check out this related article: Beat The Blues With These Social Media Mental Health Habits
Instagram actually asks for a reason when you go to disable your account. the options are:
- privacy concerns
- trouble getting started
- too busy or distracting
- too many ads
- want to remove something
- created a second account
- just need a break
- concerned about my data
- can’t find people to follow
- something else
As you can see, you can really disable your account for any reason. Whatever your reason may be, disabling your account is so easy!
How to Disable my Instagram Account: Step-By-Step
To start, take note that you can’t do this procedure on the mobile Instagram app. You have to go use the desktop version of Instagram or open a browser on your phone, and access your account that way.
- Tip: You can locate your Instagram account using the link www.instagram.com/*your username*
Once you’ve come to the right place, look to the top right corner of the screen and click or tap the edit profile button.
Next, you’ll be at the edit profile screen. The edit profile screen is where you can make all sorts of changes to your account. At the bottom of the page, click or tap “disable my account.”
Like we said earlier, Instagram is sad to see you go. Instagram wants to know why you are disabling your account. You have to choose a reason to continue.
You can select a reason from the drop-down menu:
Next, you’ll have to enter your password before it becomes official. This is done for security reasons so no one else can disable your account!
What Happens When I Disable my Instagram Account?
Now you have successfully disabled your Instagram account! But, you may be wondering, “where has all my stuff gone? Can anyone find my account anymore?”
The answer is: we don’t know where your account goes. But we do know that no one will be able to find it until it is reactivated.
If you or anyone try searching for your account in the search bar, the account will not be found.
Following a link that goes to your account will result in seeing “page not found.”
And lastly, if someone taps on a tagged photo, they’ll see the words “user not found.”
In fact, when you disable your account, your likes and comments will be hidden as well.
Check out this visual below, for example:
When Should I Reactivate my Instagram Account?
You can keep your account disabled for as long as you’d like.
When you’re ready to see what your followers are up to, or you have an awesome picture you really want to post, you’ll wonder how to reactivate your account.
Keep in mind, Instagram doesn’t reactivate your account instantly. After reactivating your account, it may take a few hours until Instagram approves it.
Ready to be back on Instagram and scroll away like you used to? Be sure to check out this article to learn how to reactivate your account: How to Reactivate Your Instagram Account in A Few Easy Steps
Alternatives for Disabling my Instagram Account
So, now you know how to disable your Instagram account. However, there are tons of different options for limiting what you are exposed to on social media.
Maybe there are some people that you don’t want following you. Or maybe you want to refresh your account a bit. Before you decide to disable your Instagram account, consider these other options:
- Block a user – If there are only a few people that you do not want following you, you can simply block them. If it’s only a small number of people who you want to block, there’s no need to disable your account to everyone.
- Related: How To Block People On Instagram
- Account privacy – Many users like to opt for a private account because it ensures you that only your followers can see your posts. If you were thinking about disabling your Instagram for privacy reasons, you might want to consider looking at your account privacy settings.
- Create a new account – Who says you can only have one Instagram account? If you wanted to disable your account because you wanted your account to be completely different, consider having two separate accounts. For example. you can have a personal account and a business account. Or maybe you want a separate account to showcase a skill, like music, art or dance, for example.
- Delete your account – If you are sure that you do not want to use Instagram again, there is always the option to delete your Instagram account. Users generally delete their profiles when they don’t want to post on that account anymore. Keep in mind, however, that this option is permanent. If you delete your account, all of your content will be gone. So if you decide to take this route, be sure to save all of your photos and videos to your phone!
Now, you should be a pro at everything there is to know about disabling your Instagram account! The best part about disabling your account is that you can reactivate it without losing any of your great posts!
For related content and Instagram help, contact Upleap! We’ll help you to get more likes, engagement and ROI in no time, by providing you with your very own Instagram account manager. Intrigued? Find out more today!