If you need to delete an Instagram post, we’ll break it down into easy steps. Everybody wants to delete an Instagram post at some point, even if it’s years later! People change their minds a lot and Instagram makes it easy to get rid of an unwanted post.
Delete An Instagram Post
- Log into your account. You can only delete your Instagram posts if you’re accessing them from the same account.
- Tap the profile button on the bottom right. This will bring you to your Instagram account.
- Next, select the photo you want to delete.
- On the top right, there are 3 little dots. Click them.
- Choose the word ‘delete’ which will be in bright red text.
- Next, Instagram will ask you if you’re sure you want to delete the post. Click ‘Delete’ again which is on the right side.
And, that’s it! Your Instagram post is officially gone.
People will delete an Instagram post for many reasons. For example, maybe it was an accidental upload or maybe they want a fresh clean start.
Celebrities are known for deleting all of their Instagram posts to catch attention of the world before launching a new campaign or beginning a new project.
Taylor Swift deleted all of her Instagram posts before announcing her newest album ‘Reputation’ that released in November 2017. While it caught attention, it also gave Swift a chance to rebrand herself.
If you’re seeking out a fresh start, try deleting your Instagram posts for a nice blank canvas.
Archive Instagram Posts
If you don’t want to delete an Instagram post, there are other options. Certainly, you can archive your Instagram posts.
That means that they will disappear from your grid feed but you can still see them in another section.
In fact, archiving them is great because Instagram keeps all the comments and likes on the photo. Plus, you can always add it back to your page later!
Let’s put this into simple steps:
- Log into your Instagram account and visit your profile.
- Click the post you want to archive and click the 3 little dots.
- Click archive.
- The post will disappear from your page.
- Click the clock icon on the top left of your profile.
- Click archive and then posts. Here is where all your archived posts will live!
- If you want to put any photo back on your feed, click on the photo, and then the three little dots.
- Click ‘Show on profile’ and it will instantly appear back on your page.
If you aren’t sure if you should delete an Instagram post, this is a great trial run. You can have a clean slate but keep all your memories.
Also, it’s great for people who are indecisivee. Archiving posts means you won’t have any regrets. You get the effect of deleting your Instagram posts without the risk of losing your photos!
How To Delete All Instagram Posts At Once
Unfortunately, Instagram doesn’t have an easy way to bulk edit or delete photos. Yet.
However, third party apps can help with that.
Cleaner for Ins is a popular and well recieved third party app for IOS.
Certainly, this app can help with many things: bulk unfollow, bulk unlike, bulk block followers and bulk delete Instagram posts.
Plus, it’s free! Simply select the photos you want to delete and in one click, get rid of them!
If you’re using Android, try Cleaner For Instagram. With this app, you can delete 5 Instagram posts at once. To delete more than that, you will need to pay for an upgrade.
Tip: Read reviews of these apps before making the choice. Third party apps are often hit or miss. Sometimes, carving out the time to do it by hand through the Instagram app is the better choice.
If you need to delete your Instagram for a more drastic reason, then that might be the best option. You can do this from the mobile app or your PC’s web browser.
However, we advise you not to make such a permanent decision. You might want to retrieve it again in the future.
Instead, disable your Instagram account.
You can only disable your Instagram account from your PC’s web browser.
- Log onto your Instagram account.
- Tap the person icon on the top right of the page.
- Click ‘Edit profile’.
- Scroll down until you see ‘Temporarily disable my account’.
- Click it and Instagram will ask for a reason why you’re disbaling the account.
- Select your reason and re-enter your password.
- Confirm the disabling of the account.
Once you’ve completed those steps, that’s officially your Instagram account disabled!
To reactivate it, wait one full day and then log back in. It’s that simple.
So, if you want don’t want to just delete an Instagram post and go the full stretch, deactivtating your account is a perfect temporary solution.
How To Delete An Instagram Story and IGTV
If you’re active on Instagram, then deleting an Instagram post won’t be the only advice you need.
To delete an Instagram story, it’s pretty much the same as a post. Open your Instagram story and on the update you want to delete, click those three little dots again. Yes, they are your new best friends.
It will ask you if you’re sure and you can confirm.
All your Instagram stories are automatically archived. However, if you delete it from your story, it won’t appear in your archives anymore.
To delete an IGTV video, wait until it’s finished uploading.
Find the video you want to delete and click the three little dots. Again.
Finally, click ‘delete’ and follow the same further steps. It’s very easy!
Well, that’s it for everything you need to know about how to delete an Instagram post! It’ll be helpful one day when you’ve posted something you didn’t mean to. Or maybe you come across an old embarrassing photo that you don’t want on your profile anymore. We’ve all been there.