Your Instagram name is often one of the first things people see when going to your account. It’s how people find you and tag you in posts. If you want to change your Instagram name, you can in just a few simple steps
Have you ever looked at your Instagram name and thought it wasn’t really suitable for your account? Maybe you made your account when you were 12 and were obsessed with cupcakes and unicorns.
Now you’re older and you might want to change your name to something else. If your Instagram name doesn’t best represent who you really are, do not worry because changing it is very simple!
Keep reading if you’d like to learn how to change your Instagram name.
Why Change Instagram name?
First, it’s good to decide if you want to change yourname or not. Be sure to consider the pros and cons of the name change. Here are a few reasons why people tend to change their names:
- When switching to a business account, the owner will want the username to be the same as the business name
- If you want to be more easily found, users will change their username to their first and last name.
- Conversely, if you do not want to be found, you can change your name to something other than your full name. (This is common if you are a teacher, for example and you don’t want students finding your Instagram!)
- If you have an account with a specific theme. For example, if you have an account where you post your art, you might want to specify “art” in the name.
These are all good reasons to switch your username. However, keep in mind the cons of changing your Instagram username. For instance, you want to avoid losing followers after changing your name.
Will I lose followers if I change my Instagram name?
Some users worry that they will lose followers when changing their Instagram name. This could happen because your followers won’t recognize you anymore which will make them want to unfollow you. The same scenario can happen with likes. You may also see your likes go down as well.
Check out this article: Easy Ways to Earn More Instagram Likes on Your Posts
The problem isn’t necessarily because people aren’t interested in your feed anymore, but it’s more likely that they simply don’t recognize your new name.
However, there are ways to keep your likes and followers from decreasing after changing your Instagram name.
An effective way to decrease the chances of losing followers is by informing your followers of the new name. This could easily be done by making a quick post on your Instagram story. This method is a sure-way to get the word out to your followers.
Check out this article: How to Use Instagram Story Dimensions to Up Your Game
If that doesn’t work, give it some time and continue to make posts. Remember to make engaging posts that will catch people’s attention. Gradually, your followers will remember that it’s you and you’ll stop losing followers and get those likes back.
How to change your Instagram name
Now that you’ve decided that you want to change your Instagram name, here’s how to do it on the mobile app:
- First, open the Instagram app on your phone. Go to your account page.
- Next, tap the “edit profile” icon located to the right of your profile picture.
- Next, find username. Tap on your current username and you will be able to type a new one in.
- Once you’ve typed in your new username, hit “done” located at the top right corner of the screen.
If you are using your desktop to access Instagram, follow these steps:
- Arrive at instagram.com and log in to your account.
- On the top-right corner, click on the “profile” button. It’s in the shape of a person.
- Click “edit profile”
- Next, you will see the username box where you can begin to type in your new name.
- Lastly, hit submit after you’ve typed in your new name.
Now, your username will display as the new name on your account. It’s that easy! Now no one will be able to find you under your old Instagram name. Keep in mind that your handle will also be changed in all of your previous mentions.
What to do if your name has already been taken
The only problem you may come across when changing your Instagram name is the name already being taken. When this happens, a box will appear on Instagram that says “This username isn’t available. Please try another.”
If there is a specific name you want that is already taken, there’s probably not much you can do. However, read these tips to see if these variations can work for you:
- Use a “.” or “_” in between spaces. (For example, you could use @john_smith instead of @johnsmith)
- Add one or two numbers at the end of the name
- Try something different altogether – maybe a nickname or something people could recognize you as.
- Play with a username generator that puts words in different combinations. (Check out this article: A Guide To Instagram Username Generators )
Tips for choosing the best Instagram name for your account
If you’ve decided that you want to change you name but you don’t know what to change it to, there are a few things you can think about. These tips may help you decide.
- Pick something memorable yet recognizable – Do you have a nickname that friends call you? Go for something different by using a nickname instead of your full name
- Keep it simple – Even if you choose to a name other than your real name, try your best to keep it simple. This way, when people ask for your username, it will be easy for them to type in.
- Consider what kind of account you have – If you have a business account, have your name be close to or the same as your business’s name. But if it’s just your personal account, don’t worry too much about this one!
Now that you’ve arrived at a new Instagram name, be sure to tell all of your followers! Tell them through Instagram stories, a photo, or a caption. This way, they’ll remember it’s you.